Skip to content Skip to navigation

This website is under development.
Please do not contact us about out of date or incomplete content

For up to date information visit our current website or Facebook page

History

The following is a brief chronology:

1758    James Brindley surveys line of Trent & Mersey canal
1774    Survey of possible route from T&M to Cauldon Lowe lime quarries
1776    Caldon Canal Act passed; construction commences on canal to Froghall and "railed way" to Cauldon Lowe
1777    Trent & Mersey Canal main line opens
1778    Caldon Canal opens
1797    Acts passed enabling Rudyard reservoir, branch to Leek and Uttoxeter Canal
1801    Leek Arm opens and Rudyard Lake operational
1811    Uttoxeter canal opens
1841    Hazlehurst New Locks and Aqueduct constructed; original triple staircase abandoned
1847    Ownership of canal transfers to North Staffordshire Railway Company (NSRC)
1849    Uttoxeter Canal closed; NSR construct railway along its route
1853    Extraction of ironstone commences in Churnet Valley
1866    Branch canal constructed from Foxley Bridge to Ford Green Ironworks
1905    Interchange wharf built at Endon
1920    Major Cauldon Lowe limestone contract cancelled
1923    Ownership of canal transfers to London, Midland & Scottish Railway
1944    Leek Arm abandoned
1948    Railways nationalised; British Transport Commission take on canals
1951    Commercial traffic on Caldon Canal largely ceases
1957    Leek UDC buy and fill in canal between Churnet Aqueduct and Leek Basin
1961    Caldon Canal Closure Notice appears at Etruria
1963    Campaign against closure; Caldon Canal Committee formed
1968    Caldon Canal & Leek Arm become "Remainder Waterways" under Transport Act
1972    Agree volunteers, local authorities and British Waterways to restore Caldon Canal
1974    Caldon Canal officially reopened to navigation, 28 September 1974
1983    British Waterways upgrade Caldon Canal & Leek Arm to "Cruising Waterway" status